I would say that in the past 3-6 months, the amount of dreams I have had has significantly increased. I am interpreting this to mean that God is releasing dreams during the night season and that our eyes and ears should be open to receive what He is speaking to us. Here are a few tips on how to receive during this season:
- Keep a notebook and pen on your night stand. If you wake up in the night and the dream you just had is shockingly fresh in your mind, chances are that there is some significance. Write it down! Every detail that comes, no matter how small it seems.
- The next day or sometime that week, re-read the dream. As you do so, circle the items that stand out as significant. Or you can take a separate sheet of paper to make this in list form.
- Pray and then allow the Holy Spirit to take you through scripture to see how your dream aligns. Remember that in one dream there can be many factors –> God, us, our day, a movie we watched, eating a weird dinner before bed, etc. So, ultimately we must ensure that what we are seeing is from Him and lines up with His Word.
- Pray and ask God what symbolism is to be taken away from the dream. Many of us can go crazy with symbolism. We may interpret a clown in the dream to mean that we are too vain and wearing too much make up…when the clown was simply part of the circus we were at in the dream! Tread carefully and with much discernment.
- Submit the dream to any women’s groups, friends, accountability partners or leadership for further interpretation. There are those that specifically have the gift of interpreting dreams. If you know someone like this, pester them with your dreams! Be sure to only receive those interpretations that “bear witness” in your spirit!
- Continue to review your dreams. Try to keep a folder, binder or notebook designated for dreams. Take that out and re-read them every month or so if possible. Many times God releases a dream for a future season in the “now” so that we are warned and/or made aware.
I encourage you to apply even one of these principles the next time you have a dream that just captivates your heart and mind. You will be surprised at how God can use that to lead, direct and encourage you! Don’t fall victim to the lie that God can’t or doesn’t communicate to us today through dreams and visions. James Goll said it well when he said that God is the Master Dream Weaver!
“Through dreams God communicates directly with us concerning our destiny as well as the destinies of our families, our nation, and our world. Many people today, particularly in the Western culture, never recognize God speaking to them in this way because they have been conditioned by a skeptical and sophisticated society to discount the language of dreams. Within our own generation, God is reconnecting us to a vital part of our spiritual heritage.” ~James Goll